Running reconstruct as cyrus user

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.com
Sat Apr 3 11:13:03 EST 2004

--On Saturday, April 03, 2004 10:27 AM +0800 Craig Ringer
<craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> Alternately, it's possible that reconstruct isn't doing it's job,
> resulting in the mailbox thinking it still contains all those messages.
> If the client caches headers and messages, the fact that the remote
> mailbox is damaged might not bother it - the message IDs are still shown
> as "present" in the mailbox, so it doesn't need to flush out its cached
> copies. Again, that's kind of sussed (messages can change while on an
> IMAP server), but possible.

Yes, I believe this is the issue, or at least the symptoms exist.

> I'd use imtest to look at the _real_ state of the mailbox. Mulberry is
> also good for testing etc because of its brilliant IMAP support.

My client is Ximian Evolution on SusE 9, I'm in Mulberry now and both have
the same problem. They are listing the messages because the cyrus files
still show entries for the messages. As you said, this is probably what the
client uses to control it's own cache and it sees it is still in the
cyrus.cache. The next step is to see if I'm really dealing with a corrupt
mailbox, etc. I don't know the IMAP commands :(  so all I can do with
imtest is test login, how do you list messages, for instance? The man page
seems to only show startup options.

--
Robert
---