cyrus and maildir/nfs

Robin M. robin at primus.ca
Wed Apr 7 02:28:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> pop3-daemon of qmail. Now we need an IMAP-server. For our purposes, I'm
> only aware of courier-imap, cyrus-imap and a third one, that I'm unable
> to find at this moment, but it was as slim as the qmail pop3d. However:
> courier-imap seems to be too complicated (altough first tests were
> successful).
> If nfs and maildirs are still scaring you, then please explain, how you
> would prefer to scale everything. I don't want to do scaling on a
> limited mailbox per server-basis, that's too complicated. It's easier to
> expand the nfs-storage, put in a new mailserver and add it's ip-address
> to the dns-zone of the mailserver-name, that's used for all mx-records
> of our domains.

Courier is perfect for what you want to do. Courier works very well over
nfs with MailDir. Cyrus does not work with nfs. To Learn more about how to
scale cyrus, read up on murder. Although based on what you have already
said I do not think you will like the design since mailboxes are dedicated
to servers. Your best bet is to stick with Courier, and you will see that
it is simpler than cyrus.

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus