What constitutes "Invalid Format"

Rob Tanner rtanner+cyrus at linfield.edu
Wed Apr 7 13:18:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm doing an upgrade from an earlier commercial version of cyrus server to
the latest and greatest Cyrus 2.2.3 and seem to be plagued with mailboxes
that generate the error "Mailbox has an invalid format".  Somewhere around a
quarter of all the mailboxes are getting so flagged.  It is consistent in
that if I clear out and then reload the spool partition or delete and rebuild
mailboxes.db, the same mailboxes get flagged as having an invalid format.  It
also appears arbitrary since I can find no significant differences between a
mailbox so flagged and one that passes muster.

My question: What exactly are the criteria the software checks to determine
if the mailbox format is valid or not?  I have gone through the source  in
mailbox.c, where the error is generated, but that file is over 3,000 lines,
and minimally self-documenting.  So if someone could tell me exactly what
it's looking for when it generates the error, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Tanner
Linfield College