Insert artificial delay into IMAP server responses (to workaround OL2002)

Peter Friend octavian at corp.earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 14:08:51 EDT 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Doug Koobs wrote:

> I should have said that Outlook is too slow. The problem here is
> definitely
> not with Cyrus, I was just hoping for a workaround in Cyrus to
> compensate
> for Outlook's problem.
>
> Here is a thread from a NG between a couple of people suffering from
> this
> problem, and a tech at MS that is working to resolve the problem:

I wasn't able to view this link. At a protocol level the problem
doesn't make much sense to me, since Outlook has to read everything
that Cyrus is sending it, regardless of how fast it is being sent. The
data would have to actually be ditched by Outlook , or there is some
nasty thread collision problem that is causing the data to be lost and
not processed. If this isn't causing any protocol errors it would seem
that the data loss is specific to certain items. I have a lot of
Outlook users talking to a Cyrus server (hacked extensively, but not at
protocol level) so I am interested in what is actually happening here.
Putting an artificial load on the system should not alter the order
that Cyrus writes data. Perhaps this load is delaying writes enough to
cause a larger number of smaller packets to be sent over the wire,
which really shouldn't matter. I would be doing tcpdump comparisons at
this point.

Regards,

Peter