Moving mail spool from 1.6.24 to 2.2.3

Shelley Waltz shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:21:28 EDT 2004

I have a newly installed 2.2.3 cyrus imap server set up and
wish to move my mail users from our old 1.6.24 cyrus server.

Rather than do this in one fell swoop, all mailboxws ... moved
at one time, I need to do this user-by -user in order to reconfigure
their clients and to add new features(spam sieve script and extra spam
and virus folders) for each user.

After reading through everything I could find in the list and in the
install-upgrade doc, here is my plan.

On the new server, create the user.uid mailbox for the user including the
new SPAM and VIRUS folders.  Install the default sieve script in their
sieve directory.  At this point I do not wish to migrate the sieve
scripts or the quotas from the old server, as they will be replaced.

Old server config
/usr/cyrus/imap/mailboxes	 text file
               /deliverdb/
               /msg
               /proc
               /quota/"a-z"/     text files user."username"
               /user/"a-z"/      text files (user.sub)

/usr/cyrus/spool/imap/stage.
                     /user/"usernames"     user mailbox with messages
                                           cyrus.cache,header,index,seen

cyrus.cache:   data
cyrus.header:  data
cyrus.index:   data
cyrus.seen:    ASCII text

New server config
/var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db
             /deliver.db
             /db/
             /quota/"a-z"/user."username"
             /sieve/"a-z"/"username"

/var/spool/imap/"a-z"/user/"username"       user mailbox with messages and
                                            cyrus.cache,header,index

cyrus.cache:  data
cyrus.header: data
cyrus.index:  data

The .sub and .seen are now in /var/lib/imap/user/"a-z"/user.sub,seen

Can I individually copy
/usr/cyrus/spool/imap/user/"username"/* on the old server to

/var/spool/imap/"a-z"/user/"username"/  on the new server

and then reconstruct the mailbox?  Do I need to do something with
cyrus.* before reconstruct to preserve information in the cyrus.* files
or to have them converted?

Thanks in advance
Shelley Waltz