[news:comp.mail.imap.cyrus] Is it needed ?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:22:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Andrzej Filip wrote:

> BTW the list archive gives an example how to protect email addresses.
>
> > As for gatewaying, I wouldn't want to gateway messages from the newsgroup
> > to the mailing list, again for spam reasons.
>
> Spamassassin can be be used to stop most spam and forward dubious cases
> to moderator but a few messages will pass the checks anyway.

I'm not in a big rush to increase the amount of work I have to do to
maintain this list.

> Newsgroup are easier to use for "less determined participants", mailing
> list can discourage many of them (vide discussion about
> advantages/disadvantages of Challenge/Response mailbox protection systems).

Actually, I'm personally generally more discouraged from participating in
newsgroups than mailing lists, since it is significantly harder to tell
who you are talking to, given the number of people who post with false
addresses, and so on...

-Rob