cyrus and Spamassassin bayes rules

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 27 10:06:47 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 21:39, Scott Russell wrote:
> Would it really have any serious advantage over forwarding the false
> negatives/positives to an email address for processing?

Users. I have a hard time getting my users to wrap their heads around
the concept of a "spam" folder vs "trash" folder; persuading them to
forward spam has about a 0.05% chance of success.

Perhaps you're luckier, but even so - I think that a shared (or per
user) "Junk"/"Spam" folder is a lot easier for people to grasp and
they're more likely to use it. Especially when app hooks can be provided
to map a key/button to a "move to mailbox" command. Of course, if you
can do that you can probably do a 'forward to address' button too, but
still - I'd consider the folder option superior myself.

It also has the advantage reducing the number of messages passing
through the SMTP server, which is always good IMHO. Especially when SMTP
deliveries are "expensive" due to virus scanning, spam checking, etc.

Craig Ringer