Delivery According to ACLs' "post" Privilege

ms419 at freezone.co.uk ms419 at freezone.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 22:37:31 EDT 2004

In one area I have had trouble using Cyrus IMAPd: Delivery.

After considerable effort - and help from others - I believe I've
arrived at the fundamental problem: I wish for users to be able to
filter mail using arbitrary user level programs, but I don't wish for
users to be able to deliver mail to any and every mailbox.

For users to be able to filter mail using arbitrary user level programs
- run with the users' privileges - delivery must be possible with the
users' privileges. As I understand it, however, allowing a user to
deliver - either using filesystem permissions or as an LMTP admin -
means allowing a user to deliver to any mailbox.

I also understand, however, that it is possible to authenticate to the
Cyrus LMTPd through TCP/IP using SASL, but that "... Only LMTP admins
can deliver to LMTPd through TCP/IP sockets." Can someone explain why
it is not possible for users, once authenticated, to deliver to only
those mailboxes whose ACLs grant them "post" privileges?

Thanks!

Jack