Cyrus Server Migration

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Sep 5 03:43:58 EDT 2003

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb:

> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003, Andrew Brink wrote:
> > 1.  ext2 or ext3, we are also considering a cluster solution using a
> > shared File system (GFS) Any experiences with these?
>
> You're using Linux, then.  Definately go with xfs or reiserfs.  xfs is
> probably better for large sites, it is extremely fast and reliable
> especially if you tell it that yes, it can hog a lot of memory.  Even in its
> standard settings, it is much faster than ext3.
>
> You really, really should apply the linux stabilization patches in Cyrus.
> Solaris doesn't appear to need them, but if you experienced hangs, you are a
> top candidate to apply the patches.
>
> The debian packaged version has them all. I believe most high-quality RPMs
> of Cyrus do as well (I am sure the Cyrus RPM maintainer(s) will reply to you
> as well).  If you want to apply them by hand, be my guest. They are
> scattered in CMU Bugzilla...

I tried to extract some of the patches from different places and put
them into my RPMs. Unfortunately I'm not sure I didn't miss one.

I didn't have any db related problem on RedHat with db3 and db4. Of
course, the RPMs are using skiplist for mailboxes.db per default, as Rob
suggested.

I can also suggest XFS as the FS of choice. The only problem is that it
is not so well supported by Linux distributions.

Simon