A Cyrus/murder of that size is possible?

Sergio Devojno Bruder bruderlists at pontobr.org
Sat Sep 6 14:27:13 EDT 2003

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> If anyone in Brazil will deploy such a system, please drop me a note when it
> is done, ok?  Being brazilian and a Cyrus and postfix enthusiast (and the
> Debian Cyrus maintainer), I am quite interested in this project of yours...

Ok, no problem. Something around the end of the year, I think.

> > I never saw any published benchmarks|comparitions of
> > cyrus with MTAs doing local delivery by lmtp|smtp.
>
> That's because it is hugely dependent on your system. I believe 15 emails
> per second is possible, but you need:
>   1. Extremely well tunned storage (big caches, etc)
>   2. XFS or another very fast journaled filesystem.

I was thinking about the infamous ext3 data=journal. XFS is better
than that (for MTAs)?

>>- Using storage with fiber in my ia32 backend servers, how much
>
> ia32? Which unix will you run on them? Some flavour of Linux, of the BSDs,
> or Solaris?

Linux.

>>- I'm toying with the idea of create a mutant postfix
>>  mpudate-enabled that will deliver the email directly to the right
>>  backend, using the murders servers only to pop3 and imap.
>>  feasible or I'm getting nuts?
>
> It should be possible.  You'd need to either:
>  1. create a mupdate "table engine" and perform mupdate mailbox
>     lookups in the transport table, OR
>  2. create a new version of the lmtp transport that is mupdate-aware.
>
> (2) above looks doable.  If you do so, I would very much like to see
> that code in either cyrus contrib, postfix contrib, or even postfix
> upstream...

In the postfix way-of-things the more tradicional way is the first
one, but I'm inclined exactly to your second sugestion.

> Anyway, you can easily run Cyrus lmtp muder proxies in every postfix box,
> so that would not be a bottleneck.

This is a third option that I will pursuit if the postfix
modification gets complex or 'dirty'.

--
Sergio Devojno Bruder   <bruder at haxent.com.br>
Haxent Consultoria    http://www.haxent.com.br