first.last mailboxes ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Sep 8 16:31:38 EDT 2003

have a client telling me that '.' is perfectly valid in a mailbox, cause
he can do it @earthlink.net ... I know with Cyrus IMAPd you can't, since
the '.' denotes a subfolder, but can someone point me to an RFC or
*something* that states that it is, in fact, not valid?

I know how to do it with setting up a 'regular mailbox' and then just
aliasing the first.last to that mailbox, but I know explaining that to him
is going to raise counter-arguments, but if I can be on the 'technical
high-ground' before that stage, it would be soooo much smoother ...

Thanks ...