Sql based Spamassassin with sieve

Ted Cabeen ted at impulse.net
Fri Sep 12 15:37:25 EDT 2003

Pat Lashley <patl at volant.org> writes:
> --On Friday, September 12, 2003 09:50:43 -0700 Ted Cabeen
> <secabeen at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Why does it need to run 5 times?  If you've got 5 people with
>> different settings, you can run spamassassin one time and still have
>> individual preferences.  The score of a message is not determined by a
>> user's SA preferences in most cases.
>
> Indeed, few people change the list of tests to be performed or the
> scores of the individual tests; but now that SA has Baysean filtering
> it is quite simple for individuals to maintain their own training
> sets to define what they do or do not consider to be spam.  And that
> will lead to different scores for the same message.

True enough.  I forgot about that.  We just run a site-wide bayesian
database, which while not as good as personal bayesian databases,
helps somewhat.

> I know this is fairly easy to do in Exim.  (Using SA from a router
> rather than an ACL.)  I suspect it's not too difficult for other
> MTAs.  (It does prevent the use of Cyrus' single store option though.)

It's fairly easy to do in postfix as well.  The usual way I've seen it
done is to use procmail as the LDA with a glocal .procmailrc that runs
the SA for each user.  Once the processing has been completed,
procmail hands the mail to deliver.

--
Ted Cabeen
Sr. Systems/Network Administrator