database recovery...

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 10 10:16:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Scott Adkins wrote:

> Well, I am not sure that it is something bizarre going on with the mmap()
> method that configure chose at compile time.  I still have to do some
> testing, but I am not really convinced that the 27MB/28MB sizes are tied
> in to mailboxes.db being nearly the same size.

Well, since they are all consistantly the same size, and it is something
that is close, it is pretty suspect to me, but...

> So, what kind of things would cause the process to grow?  If a user makes
> a connection to IMAP, it starts out small.  Does the memory footprint grow
> as they open and close folders, reading in the various cyrus files listed
> in that particular folder?  I imagine that if somebody had a really big
> folder (like the many around here who never delete their mail), could that
> drive the footprint up a bit?

A large folder would have a large uid<->seq# map, and threading operations
(along with some others) would take more memory.  But unless you have one
obviously huge folder, I can't explain why all the large processes are the
same size with this method.

-Rob