Can't deliver to user@domain accounts from sendmail

James A. Pattie james at pcxperience.com
Fri Sep 12 19:10:28 EDT 2003

Andrzej Filip wrote:
| James A. Pattie wrote:
|
|> Andrzej Filip wrote:
|> | James A. Pattie wrote:
|> |
> [...]
|> |
|> |
|> | I assumed you run sendmail 8.12.
|> | What is reported by the command below executed by root ?
|> |
|> | ( echo Subject: test; echo ) | sendmail -oi -v
|> root at mail.pcxperience.com
|> |

|> yes I run sendmail 8.12.9.
|>
|> I modified the test to goto test at pcxperience.com since that is the
|> user I'm
|> having issues trying to e-mail.  If I just e-mail to root then things
|> seem to
|> work ok, but then I've only create user/root, not
|> user/root at pcxperience.com.
|> [...]
|

| Sorry, correct my mistake (lack of -Am):
| ( echo Subject: test; echo ) | sendmail -oi -Am -v
| root at mail.pcxperience.com

mail:/etc/mail# ( echo Subject: test; echo ) | sendmail -oi -Am -v
test at pcxperience.com
test at pcxperience.com... Connecting to /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp via cyrus...
220 mail.pcxperience.com LMTP Cyrus v2.1.14-IPv6-Debian-2.1.14-1 ready
|>> LHLO mail.pcxperience.com
250-mail.pcxperience.com
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-AUTH EXTERNAL
250 IGNOREQUOTA
|>> MAIL From:<root at mail.pcxperience.com> SIZE=15
250 2.1.0 ok
|>> RCPT To:<test at pcxperience.com>
|>> DATA
550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
550 5.1.1 User unknown
503 5.5.1 No recipients
|>> RSET
250 2.0.0 ok
|>> RSET
250 2.0.0 ok
root... Using cached LMTP connection to localhost via cyrus...
|>> MAIL From:<> SIZE=1039
250 2.1.0 ok
|>> RCPT To:<root at mail.pcxperience.com>
|>> DATA
250 2.1.5 ok
354 go ahead
|>> .
250 2.1.5 Ok
root... Sent
Closing connection to localhost
|>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 bye

I also tweaked my sendmail.mc to have the following entries to make sure that it
used the domain name specified in the incoming e-mail instead of replacing it
with $j.  I got the 2 R$=L and R$+  lines from:
http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/cyrus-l/cyrus-02/cyrus-0210/cyrus-021007/cyrus02101715_24073.html

MAILER_DEFINITIONS
Mcyrus,         P=[IPC], F=lsDFMnqA@/:|SmXz, E=\r\n,
~                S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP, T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
~                A=FILE /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp

LOCAL_RULE_0
R$=L < @ $=w . >        $#cyrus $: @ $1 < @ $2 . >
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $#cyrus $: $1 < @ $2 . >
Rbb + $+ < @ $=w . >    $#cyrus $: + $1

User cyrus has all permissions on the user/test at pcxperience.com and user/root
accounts.  Does postman also have to have permissions on the folders?

- --
James A. Pattie
james at pcxperience.com

Linux  --  SysAdmin / Programmer