single quote in mailbox

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:32:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Patrick Welche wrote:

> > I couldn't find any reason not to allow the single quote in the code or
> > the rfcs either.
>
> It would be good to know what the reason was when that code was written..
>
> > I was hoping somebody would answer this time...  Although I can't tell
> > you why the single quote is not in GOODCHARS, I can tell you that we
> > added it in mboxname.c (as posted in my message) and we've been running
> > in procuction for several months without any problems.
>
> Great - I will do the same.

GOODCHARS is designed by default to be very conservative about what it
allows -- we could include a number of characters that we don't because
they are bad in various environemnts (especially the shell -- this
especially comes up when working with the mail store directly).

I'm pretty sure there isn't any harm in including ', though I don't think
we'll be doing so in the base distribution.

-Rob