Cyrus to USENET gateway

Nils Vogels nivo at yuckfou.org
Tue Sep 23 17:11:57 EDT 2003

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Nils Vogels wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently looking for some kind of solution, that will allow me
>> to gateway between Cyrus and USENET.
>>
>> Right now I'm using an MLM solution, that fetches certain groups from
>> a server, drops and drops them in a Cyrus bb, but I'm trying to see
>> if threre is anything around that will allow me to integrate this
>> further.
>>
>> The things that currently trouble me are:
>>
>> 1) I've found the feedcyrus shellscript, but this only seems to work
>> for an INN install. I do not have the resources to install INN as
>> well on the mailserver, and I do not want articles to be both in the
>> INN system, and in the Cyrus system. Would it be possible to use for
>> instance an slrn-pull setup for this as well ?
>

> Cyrus 2.2 has a fully functional NNTP server so you can feed articles
> directly into Cyrus (or pull them from another server) and have them
> served via IMAP/POP3 and/or NNTP.

I've been playing with this option, unfortunately all the newsservers I
have access to will not allow me to use the NEWNEWS command, and thus
fetchnews fails miserably.

Given the fact that NEWNEWS is rather expensive to run on a full-feed
newsserver in busy groups, I can imagine more people having issues with
this restriction.

Would it be possible to have another way get the 'last fed message'
other than the use of NEWNEWS ? (maybe XOVER, or something?)

>> 2) When people put new postings in the BB, I would like some way to
>> gate it out into the USENET world again. For this setup, I have no
>> clues ... :/
>

> As Rob said, lmtp2nntp is what you want:
>
> http://www.ossp.org/pkg/tool/lmtp2nntp/

Works like a charm, thanks ;-)

Greetings,

Nils.