cyrus-imapd 2.1.15, sieve, lmtpd, and return-path header

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 23 17:18:44 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Pat Lashley wrote:

> You are assuming that sieve processing occurs -AFTER- final delivery.
> The authors of lmtpd apparently consider it to be happening -BEFORE-
> final delivery; with the sieve script itself determining whether there
> will even BE a final delivery at that point.
>
> And you should also remember that there's nothing about sieve that
> restricts it to delivery-time or post-delivery-time.  It could just
> as easily be integrated into an MTA for relay-time processing; or
> into an MUA for use during the send.

I tend to agree -- at the point sieve is processing the message, final
delivery has not occured, and thus the headers that are being refered
to here don't really exist yet.

In some ways it is a judgement call.

In any case, the suggested patch would need to handle all of the potential
headers, not just Return-path.  (I still haven't quite settled on wether
to take it or not though).

-Rob