Cyrus to USENET gateway

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 24 13:24:21 EDT 2003

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Florian Hars wrote:
>
>> Ken Murchison wrote:
>>
>>> Why not just have the newsserver feed directly to Cyrus?
>>

>> Things aren't what they used to be. Typical providers will offer their
>> clients NNRP access with NEWNEWS disabled (if they offer news at all),
>> there is no talk of "feeding".
>>
>> Trying to get suck <url:ttp://home.comcast.net/~bobyetman/index.html>
>> to cooperate with cyrus would probably be easier that reimplementing
>> suck within cyrus.
>

> At first glance, I think suck will work just fine.  You'll have to
> create the sucknewsrc file manually, since Cyrus doesn't use the typical
> files used by news servers (active, etc).

Actually, I misread the suck manpage.  Something like this works just
fine for fetching from INN and feeding to Cyrus:

suck -bp -hl localhost -A -c -H

You should set -dd, -dm and -dt accordingly, and optionally use -n.
Also, if you are going to make this an event in cyrus.conf, then -s and
-e probably make sense.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127