Cyrus to USENET gateway

Nils Vogels nivo at yuckfou.org
Thu Sep 25 15:06:56 EDT 2003

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Nils Vogels wrote:
>
>> Now, I see two possible solutions:
>>
>> 1) Tell Cyrus NNTPD not to force authentication for localhost
>

> allowanonymouslogin: yes
>
> Not recommended unless you already have a need/use for anonymous.

Indeed, I really don't like that option, escpecially not since my nntpd
will be exposed to the big bad Internet.

>> 2) Tell lmtp2nntp to authenticate to Cyrus.
>

> Not an option AFAIK.

Bummer.

> 2a) Tell lmtp2nntp to use its "feed" mode, per the note in
> doc/install-netnews.html in the Cyrus docs.
>
> This is what I recommend and what I use myself.  Since I don't use
> Postfix, I can't tell you exactly how to confifure it, but for
> Sendmail, its as simple as setting a mailer option.

I've set up postfix so that it feeds cyrus.example.org to my lmtp2nntp
socket, and lmtp2nntp is listening on it.

I'm running lmtp2nntp with the following parameters:

# lmtp2nntp --bind /var/spool/postfix/public/lmtp2nntp -d localhost -o
feed *

However, I keep on getting an error back from lmtp2nntp that I cannot
explain:

Sep 25 20:52:30 imhotep master[88839]: about to exec
/usr/local/cyrus/bin/nntpd
Sep 25 20:52:30 imhotep nntp[88839]: executed
Sep 25 20:52:30 imhotep nntp[88839]: accepted connection
Sep 25 20:52:30 imhotep postfix/lmtp[88837]: 8F88DAB59:
to=<usenet+nl.test at cyrus.example.org>,
relay=public/lmtp2nntp[public/lmtp2nntp], delay=1, status=deferred (host
public/lmtp2nntp[public/lmtp2nntp] said: 451-4.4.2 Requested action
aborted for <usenet+nl.test at cyrus.example.org>, local error in
processing. 451-4.4.2 destination#0 localhost returned NNTP:
transmission deferred 451 4.4.2 destination#0 localhost lastresp "" (in
reply to end of DATA command))

Local error in processing, has anyone encountered that by any chance ? ;-)

Also, it would be really helpful if I could debug the NNTP session in
some way .. nttpd doesn't seem to have the options for that, or am I wrong ?

Gr,

Nils.

--
Simple guidelines to happiness: