Preserving seen state when converting from mbox

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Thu Sep 25 15:04:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:29:30PM -0400, Igor Brezac wrote:
> > mailutil append /path/to/mbox {new.cyrus.server/user=mbox_cyrus_user/authuser=proxy_user/norsh}INBOX
>
> You made my day !!!  Exactly what I needed.

You will be prompted for the 'proxy_user' password.  You can hardcode the
password with a small change in mailutil.c.  Let me know if you need help
with this...

> > > The imapxfer command may do the job, but again it won't if I need to
> > > enter credential for each user (which I don't have access to anyway).  I
> > > would also prefer to avoid the overhead of configuring/running a second
> > > imap daemon for the migration.
> >
> > Why?  You can run cyrus while the conversion is running.
>
> I am going to make timing test with a few of the largest mbox to get an
> estimate of how long it will be running.  I will have a window of a few
> hours one night on weekend to do it (can yuo spell espresso !).  Mail

I do not think you have enough time to transfer several gigs (if not more)
of email in just a few hours over IMAP protocol.  You can speed things up
if you run multiple mailutil's at the same time, you can also disable
duplicate suppresion while you run the conversion.  Otherwise, I would
allow imap/pop/lmtp connections and run the conversion.  Some folks will
not see their old email until the conversion completes.

--
Igor