Cyrus IMAP use questions.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 23 13:23:38 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Denis V. Suhanov wrote:

> First  of  all,  I  wanted  to  implement  incoming  mail  sorting via
> procmail. Considering that none of my users have local shell accounts,
> what  is the right way to implementing individual procmail scripts for
> those  users  who don't want to use sieve? Or should I use sieve as an
> alternative?  My  only  concern with it is that most of the clients my
> users  use are unaware of sieve and I have no clue how to provide them
> an access to their sieve's scripts in this case.

Unless your users are trying to implement a mailing list of some sort or
do something very complicated, sieve should serve all of their needs.

There's also a performance hit for using procmail -- the number of
processes you need to fork to do a given mail delivery goes way up.

timsieved implements the MANAGESIEVE protocol for which there are a number
of web apps that can handle it (in addition, of course, to sieveshell).

> And  the  last  (and  probably  the most stupid) question is regarding
> 'details  delivery'.  I know that it is possbile to specify the folder
> name   together   with  an  e-mail  address  so  the  letter  will  be
> automatically  put  in the folder specified (user+work at domain.org, for
> example,  is supposed to put an e-mail into 'work' folder give that it
> exists).  But  I  am  not sure what parameters I have to specify in my
> sendmail.mc  to get this to work. I am using cyrusv2 local delivery (I
> believe  it  uses  LMTP, right?) Do I have to use any special rules or
> pass any special parameters to the for this feature to work?

As long as sendmail isn't stripping what is between the + and the @ this
should be easy, just give "anyone" the "p" right on the folders in
question.

Then rjs3+foo will file into user.rjs3.foo

-Rob