fetchmail+sieve: losing mail if cyrus is down

Pat Lashley patl+cyrus at volant.org
Wed Sep 24 14:48:05 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 15:57:32 +0200 cyrus at nitwit.de wrote:

> I periodically fetch mail from my ISP via fetchmail and sort it into my
> IMAP  box via sieve. For some reason (reiserfs is crap?) it sometimes
> happens that  cyrus needs to recover DB and it not available during this
> time - but  fetchmail/sieve keep on going their job, of course.
>
> So, it happens that that mail is being lost. I thought there would be
> some  buffering queue or somthing but obviously it is not.

Nope, no spooling with LMTP.

> 1) Are those mails really lost?

Almost certainly.

> 2) What can I do about that problem?

Set up an MTA (exim, qmail, postfix, sendmail, etc.) on your local
machine.  Have fetchmail pass the messages to your MTA instead of
directly to the Cyrus system.  Let your MTA do the delivery to Cyrus.

Your MTA will spool messages that can't be immediately delivered;
and retry periodically.

-Pat