Installing Cyrus/Postfix

Glenn Kusardi [STYLIXmail] gkmail at stylix.de
Fri Sep 26 17:48:46 EDT 2003

Hello,

I try to setup a mailserver on RedHat 7.3 with the following
configuration:
Postfix 2.0.14
Cyrus SASL 2.1.15
Cyrus Imapd 2.1.15
pam_mysql
web-cyradmin 0.5.3-1

Finally I want a mailserver which is completely setup by the mySQL
database and all authentification and domain/user setups should be
done there.

As of the
<http://ldp.mirror.techno-link.com/HOWTO/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/moreinfo.html>
HOWTO it should work as supposed.

The installation went smoothly with some path problems (BDB, SSL, ...)
which could be fixed. Compilation of pam_mysql ended with some
warnings but no fatal error, so I think it is working.

When testing my setup there are the problems appearing. Postfix is
running well, I can authenticate myself by plain-authentication. But
authentication by software CRAM-MD5 don't work. Can I get this working
too? Anyways mails can be sent and thats the most important thing :)
[well and not-authenticated users can't, just as important ;)].

The second problem is getting Imapd to work and with this POP3. All
services are running without error (cyrus with saslauthd, postfix) but
I can't access accounts which are setup by web-cyradmin. When I try
Imap, my mail client (The Bat) tells me that it's logged on but I
can't access the INBOX or create new Imap directories because of a
"permission denied". When I try Pop3, it tells me "Unable to open
maildrop".

Testing the setup like the HOWTO describes it, isn't working either. I
added a cyrus user to sasldb and run "cyradm --user cyrus --server
localhost --auth plain". It tells me "cyradm: cannot authenticate to
server with plain as cyrus".

So thats where I can't get any further. Anyone can help me? I got the
imap.conf, cyrus.conf, main.cf, master.cf and the pam from the HOWTO,
so I didn't attach them to this text...

Sincerely,
Glenn Kusardi