Murder Authentication Methods

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:40:13 EDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, anthony mayes wrote:

> We would like to implement a murder including 2 frontends and 3+
> backends in a switched (or vpn) environment.  After reading the
> cyrus-info archives and the documents included in the Cyrus source, we
> are unclear about the authentication process between the front and the
> back ends.  We would like to avoid using Kerberos if at all possible
> being as we do not have an existing Kerberos installation.  What
> authentication methods would be best suited for this environment?

Kerberos is best suited to this enviornment.  Seriously, it's deseigned to
let services authenticate to eachother.  The murder has also been
extensively tested in a Kerberos enviornment, and testing in other
enviornments has been incidental at best.

Failing that, DIGEST-MD5 or PLAIN+TLS (in Cyrus 2.2) are your best bets.

-Rob