ipurge only for specified mailboxes

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Oct 9 09:37:47 EDT 2003

Hi,

we're considering a policy for our users where mail in the INBOX gets
deleted after 1 year. The rationale for this is that people who want to
archive all their mail should use separate folders. This would only affect
users who use POP but leave all their mail on the server (happens all too
often) and those who never read their mail. This happens as well, because
we have many orphaned accounts.

So I thought we might use ipurge for that. However, ipurge works
recursively. When I do "ipurge -f -d 365 user/xxx" (we're using both
altnamespace and unixhierarchysep) *all* that user's old mail get deleted.
I looked at the source, but at first glance I didn't see a way to avoid
that.

Any ideas regarding this? Is it worthwhile to try to add the functionality
to ipurge or should we just roll our own with a Perl script?

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK