lmtp connect problem

Joakim Ryden jryden at thebox.our-own.net
Thu Oct 9 20:03:26 EDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 04:26 pm, Jon Johnson wrote:
JJ> First, many thanks to Rob on helping with my last
JJ> question. Secondly, sorry for bugging you all again,
JJ> but I have been searching for info on this like mad
JJ> and none applies to my problem:
JJ>
JJ> I have cyrus running ok when I call it as
JJ> "/usr/cyrus/bin/master &" , but when I try to run it
JJ> from xinetd, I get messages that say
JJ> "connect(/var/imap/socket/lmtp) failed: Connection
JJ> refused" and mail doesn't get through.
JJ>
JJ> Now, in /etc/cyrus.conf I have (among other things):
JJ>
JJ>         lmtpunix     cmd="lmtpd"
JJ> listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
JJ>
JJ>
JJ> In /etc/xinetd.d/lmtp I have:
JJ>
JJ> service lmtp
JJ> {
JJ>         disable = no
JJ>         socket_type     = stream
JJ>         protocol        = tcp
JJ>         wait            = no
JJ>         user            = cyrus
JJ>         server          = /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -l
JJ> }
JJ>
JJ>
JJ> and in /etc/postfix/main.cf I have:
JJ>
JJ>
JJ> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
JJ>
JJ> And so far all the answers in the archives I've seen
JJ> for this sort of problem assume that you're missing
JJ> one of those things. Any ideas?

This is going to save you a lot of time: don't try to run anything from
[x]inetd and definitely read up on the installation documentation. I've never
heard of anyone running a Cyrus installation out of [x]inetd and I don't know
if it's even possible. If it is you have the configuration all mixed up.

The 'master' process is what binds to the IMAP/POP ports and forks off IMAP
processes when there are incoming connections, it also creates the LMTP
socket (in /var/imap/socket if that is where you configured it to be) for
your MTA to deliver to. If you use Postfix to hand the messages over to Cyrus
via LMTP the deliver program is redundant.

--Jo