[Exim] AUTH= support for lmtp transport

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 15 22:04:04 EDT 2003

>> To each his own... These sites have no "more knowledgeable" users, and
>> don't have any intentions of using any MUAs beyond Outlook Express. In
>> another situation, sure, what you're describing makes sense.
>
> It's never a good idea to assume that all of your users will remain
> completely clueless...

I guess it depends where you work. I'm unfortunate enough that it's a
99% safe bet at my place of work :-(
"training? What's training?"

I do see your point, but I'd be willing to accept the results if a user
/did/ reconfigure their mailer to use the high port. I guess it depends
on exactly why you need the delete-prevention.

> There is another big advantage to my method - it requires absolutely
> no coding, no need to maintain a patchset or attempt to get a patchset
> integrated into the distribution.

That's why I was suggesting just moving to a high port - it's simple and
there's no coding involved ;-) Nonetheless, it was only an idea -
suggested in case it'd work in your environment.

Craig Ringer