filtering email

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Oct 24 07:50:57 EDT 2003

Tom Allison wrote:

> I have a question that might be more about sieve than cyrus, but
> hopefully they are related enough that I can get away with this question.
>
> :)
>

> procmail has the ability to "shell out" and run other commands as needed
> on the basis of the email content.
> I can use certain filtering criterial to initiate an external program.
>
> Can you do anything like this under sieve/cyrus-imap?

No.  Sieve was designed to be safe for the average user.  People can do
a lot of stupid things with procmail, including losing their mail.

> sieve, as I understand it, is an application which is "sandboxed" and
> not capable of being used to shell out to another application.
>
> At this point, it seems my only option to to attempt sticking procmail
> in the middle of the delivery process.
> It's a bit of a slow down, but there might not be a choice in the
> matter....

You can still use procmail, but it makes things a *lot* more expensive,
unless it now supports LMTP (I haven't looked in a while).  For every
message, you'll have 4 processes executed -- your MTA (Sendmail,
Postfix, etc), procmail, deliver, lmtpd.  If procmail supports LMTP, you
drop the deliver piece.  If you stick with Sieve, then you only have the
first and last.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127