Cyradm HowTo

wim at unetix.nl wim at unetix.nl
Tue Oct 28 09:55:32 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm seriously wrestling with cyradm. There seems to be no
documentation available as how to use it .
I have a basic setup of cyrus-imap with postfix.
That works. pwcheck_method is salauthd.
With cyradm I can login to the imap server with:
cyradm --auth plain --user mailadmin localhost
Till sofar no problems.
Now I want to use virtual domains, I add the necessary
config to imad.conf etc. That works, mail gets distributed
nicely by imap to the different domain mailboxes etc. Nice,
but only users of the default domain can login to read their
mail. Users of the virtual domains get rejected by sasl :
"main saslauthd[4336]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=unetix at unetix.com] [service=imap] [realm=] [mech=shadow]
[reason=Unknown]"

So sasl says it doesn't know the users, that's correct
because sasl uses shadow to authenticate, so I change
the concerning config items from saslauthd to auxprop. Relieve, virtual
domain users are now authenticated against sasldb2 and can read their
mail. But.., users of the default domain suddenly can't login
anymore, because cyrus says that there are no such users
anymore... huhh? , imapd.conf has line defaultdomain: <my.domain> .
And suddenly cyradm when used as:
cyradm --auth plain --user mailadmin localhost
ends with:
"Login failed: user not found at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i686-linux/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 118
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as mailadmin"
So what auth methods are there available, I tried allready:
CRAM-MD5
DIGEST-MD5
EXTERNAL
LOGIN
PLAIN
or what method should I use with cyradm to login as mailadmin
when pwcheck_method is set to auxprop?

TIA
Wim Bakker

This e-mail was scanned by RAV Antivirus!