Slightly OT - export formats

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 29 03:48:12 EST 2003

> Can anyone suggest a good format to export this mail into, that will
> retain the messages, folders, and folder structure. They're going to try
> an import it into Outlook at the other end, so something that Outlook
> can read would be good.

I don't know about outlook specifically, but basically every mail
program on earth understands MBOX format.

> I'd rather not have to spend half the afternoon
> in a mail client, moving one folder at a time, so ideas for an export
> tool would be much appreciated.

mailutil from uw-imap would be an excellent choice. While it could use
some documentation, it works a treat for many tasks involving mass mail
maniuplation. I've been using it to migrate users from our awful MDaemon
3 (WinNT) server to the Cyrus server, but it can also copy from IMAP
servers to local mbox files.

something like this might work:

mailutil transfer {$HOST/user=$USER/notls/norsh}INBOX $TARGETDIRECTORY

but I haven't done this specific task with mailutil so YYMV.

Craig Ringer