map of authentication methods for cyrus

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Oct 30 10:21:46 EST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> I'd really appreciate feedback on this - what have I missed, do I have
> anything just plain wrong, etc. I've left out some things - like the
> 'shadow' mechanism of saslauthd - that seem best solved using other
> methods (getpwent in that case). Also left out are the specific-vendor
> mechanisms like saslauthd's dce and sia methods.

Craig, this is a good start, but as Rob said, you've left out the
mechanism layer.

PLAIN, LOGIN and libSASL (for handling plaintext auth commands like IMAP
LOGIN, POP3 USER/PASS) can use both saslauthd and auxprop.  EXTERNAL,
KERBEROS_V4 and GSSAPI don't use either, as they have there own
infrastructure.  All the other mechs can only use auxprop.  NTLM can
also proxy the auth to an actual NT/Win2K/Samba server.

There are currently three auxprop plugins: sasldb, SQL, LDAP

Hope this helps.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127