sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17: check presence of the cyrus mailbox during establishing SMTP connection

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 07:35:30 EST 2003

A Clockwork Orange wrote:

> Hello,
>
> sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17
>
> I'd like sendmail to check presence of the cyrus mailbox during
> establishing SMTP connection.
> If the cyrus mailbox doesn't present sendmail drops SMTP connection
> (doesn't recieve email).
> What have i to write in sendmail.mc file?

There's a page about it here:-

http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/sendmail/rtcyrus.html

Unfortunately, this relies on giving sendmail knowledge of the internal
arrangement of Cyrus mailboxes, to check for the existence of the user.
I've avoided implementing it, as I feel it goes counter to the idea of
Cyrus as a "black box", accessible via IMAP/LMTP/POP only. As such it'll
only work where sendmail and Cyrus are on the same machine.

If there are any better ways to achieve the same end, I'd also be
interested.

Mike.