sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17: check presence of the cyrus mailbox during establishing SMTP connection

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Sun Nov 9 12:59:24 EST 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Andrzej Filip wrote:
>>>In any case, it is unclear what could usefully be done with this, as
>>>reject guarantees that an MDN will be sent, which SMTP error codes do not
>>>do.
>>
>>It will make remote host sending message to sendmail & cyrus pair responsible
>>for generating the bounce message (in format beyond our control).
>
> Right -- this doesn't satisfy the definition or reject.

But it satisfy definition of usefullness when dealing with "most likely"
spammers (IMHO).

>>>A discard action has a similar problem -- you still need to accept the
>>>message but later throw it out.
>>
>>This is a tricky problem from sendmail perspective.
>>
>>As I wrote incorporating sieve into map lookup results send back to sendmail
>>is an option to investigate in some future version of cyrus "map protocol"
>>server. [Just do not forget that some people think it makes some sense :) ]
>

> I don't think this is something that really needs to be pushed out to the
> MTA.  Though sieve-at-MTA-time may be interesting, its an unrelated
> problem.

The map protocol can be used to implement at-RCTO_TO-time sieve interpretation
by cyrus (passing data required, getting back the reply.

BTW: Have anybody suggested implementing "cyrus milter" ?
[milter: external "mail filter" for sendmail]

It would allow full integration with sendmail, rejecting at "RCPT TO:" stage
(invalid addresses in domains handled by cyrus) and at "final dot" (anti-spam
sieve for "most likely faked" sender address).
[Milter API library (as provided by sendmail.org) requires thread support.]

Ken's super-fast implementation of "socket map" has made me ask for more :)

URL(s):
http://www.milter.org/

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/