sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17: check presence of the cyrus mailbox during establishing SMTP connection

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 9 16:26:32 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Andrzej Filip wrote:

> >>It will make remote host sending message to sendmail & cyrus pair responsible
> >>for generating the bounce message (in format beyond our control).
> >
> > Right -- this doesn't satisfy the definition or reject.
>
> But it satisfy definition of usefullness when dealing with "most likely"
> spammers (IMHO).

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your particular setup, but
breaking standards is not something we're particularly eager to do.

> > I don't think this is something that really needs to be pushed out to the
> > MTA.  Though sieve-at-MTA-time may be interesting, its an unrelated
> > problem.
>
> The map protocol can be used to implement at-RCTO_TO-time sieve
> interpretation by cyrus (passing data required, getting back the reply.

Except there isn't enough information *at* rcpt-to time to run Cyrus's
sieve implementation.

> BTW: Have anybody suggested implementing "cyrus milter" ?
> [milter: external "mail filter" for sendmail]
>
> It would allow full integration with sendmail, rejecting at "RCPT TO:" stage
> (invalid addresses in domains handled by cyrus) and at "final dot" (anti-spam
> sieve for "most likely faked" sender address).
> [Milter API library (as provided by sendmail.org) requires thread support.]

This would strike me as something better served by doing a sendmail Sieve
milter, and not something cyrus-specific (the socket map is more than
adequate for RCPT TO time).  Of course, if you get more than one recipient
at a time, you're going to lose in this case too.

-Rob