Problem with RENAME

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:28:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the system I work, it is being considered to backup mailbox instead
> of destroying them when a user is deleted from the system.  The idea is
> that instead of deleting the mailbox, it would be moved somewhere else,
> possible to be restored.  I know I could just dump the mailbox somewhere
> and delete it within Cyrus, but I would prefer to do this within IMAP.
>
> When logged on as an admin, here is what I get when trying to RENAME a
> top-level mailbox to a special backup mailbox :
>
> * OK mail Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.13 server ready
> . login admin *****
> . OK User logged in
> . rename user.gwb user.backup.gwb
> . NO Operation is not supported on mailbox
>

> admin have ACL lrswipcda on both user.gwb and user.backup.  If this is
> of any importance, this is being done in a Murder.
>
> What does the "Operation is not supported on mailbox" mean ?  Is there
> any other way to achieve the same result ?
>
> Thanks for your insight !

Cyrus 2.1.x does not support renaming user.xxx mailboxes.  I don't know if
Cyrus 2.2.x does or not.

I've written a pair of perl scripts that we use here when someone asks to
have their username changed.  One script copies a mailbox to a new
mailbox.  The other script deletes a mailbox.  I'm willing to share these
scripts if there is interest.

	Andy