hardware for cyrus murder

Thomas Hager duke at sigsegv.at
Wed Nov 12 02:20:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:12, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Very interesting ... we expect a similar load (~30K active users) on
> similar hardware, except the mupdate master will run on a separate
> machine.  I suppose you run your MTAs on the frontend, as such that's
> where the bottleneck is ?
yep, that's right. we observed the load on all machines, when
authentication started to fail. the mta spawned >100 processes to handle
the incoming smtp load and was eating up system ressources on the
frontends. we disabled the smtp service and the murder behaved normally
again.

>   How are your backends doing so far ?
very well. the system load usually varies between 2 and 6, depending on
the number of ldap requests done by the mtas for mail routing. we expect
the load to reduce to 1-2, when we equip each mta with a local ldap
slave.

we will activate the new setup this week, maybe today ( can't tell now
coz i'm still enjoying my breakfast ;-) )

i'll monitor the modified setup and give you feedback on its
performance.

tom.

--
Thomas "Duke" Hager                       {duke,hager}@sigsegv.at