Admin User - Cyrus IMAP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Nov 18 10:21:29 EST 2003

Julian W H Osborne wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to configure a Sendmail/Cyrus IMAP/LDAP solution, on a
> RH9.0 system, and it is all working fine, authenticating via PAM,
> except for one thing.
>
> We have a RH7.1 system running quite an old version of cyrus
> imap&sasl.  They way it has been configured you can login to any
> pop/imap account with the cyrus admin password if you know it.  This
> can be very useful and saves a lot of time.
>
> I have been unable to replicate this functionality on the RH9 system.
>  The system is patched up to date and running:
>
> cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.10-4
> cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.10-4
> cyrus-imapd-2.1.15-2
> cyrus-imapd-utils-2.1.15-2
> cyrus-imapd-murder-2.1.15-2
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.10-4
> cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.10-4
> cyrus-imapd-devel-2.1.15-2
>
> I've been through the archives and can't find anything,  I'm being
> pressured for a solutions so all help greatfully recevied.

That only way to proxy as a user (regardless of Cyrus or RH version) is
to use a SASL mechanism which supports proxying.  Given your list of
RPMs, the only mechs which you have that are capable of this are PLAIN
and DIGEST-MD5.  Make sure that whatever client you are using is
choosing one of these two mechanisms.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127