lmtpd rejecting messages

Joakim Ryden jryden at thebox.our-own.net
Wed Nov 19 16:16:25 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 12:44 PM, Alex Cresswell wrote:

> So I posted earlier with Service unavailable messages coming back from
> lmtpd, this is the bounce message I'm seeing.  Is there any way to
> override lmtpd so that it will accept these messages or fix to filter
> these characters out?
>
> ... while talking to localhost:
> <<< 554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I've done some homework on this as well... There doesn't seem to be a
(to me at least) real good satisfactory solution. Searching around in
various places people have suggested using your MTA's filtering
capabilities against *all* incoming e-mail to filter out NULs.....
Since this kind of filtering is pretty expensive in terms of horsepower
this is not an acceptable solution for me. Which so far has brought me
back to square one, grinding my teeth and accepting the
rejections...... Please let the list know if you come up with anything.

--Jo