$50 to anyone who can help me fix this problem (NEW INFO)

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Mon Nov 24 10:14:28 EST 2003

Bruce A. Bergman schrieb:
> Thanks to everyone who is passing suggestions my way.  In case you're
> curious, none of them have worked so far... :-(
>
> One person (Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>) gave me a
> suggestion that DID reveal an interesting data point, however, so I thought
> I would add this into the conversation.  Especially for those sites who run
> mail service for more than one domain.  Maybe this will jog someone's
> memory...
>
> If I am locally on my mail server, sitting at the shell prompt, I can use
> sendmail, mail, rmail, etc to send mail to the test address and it goes to
> all recipients, including me, perfectly.  Just as expected.

Do you have FEATURE(`msp') somewhere in your sendmail.mc ?

> If I go to any other Linux machine in my domain and send mail from it, it
> naturally tries to make a sendmail connection to the registered mail handler
> for my domain (the other machine).  Straight linux-to-linux sendmail
> transfers work correctly and again, everyone receives the message perfectly.

This sounds like the MTA is working correctly. So are you using
MAILER(`cyrusv2') or MAILER(`cyrus') now ?

> If I go to my www server, which is a winnt box running apache, and I try to
> send mail from it (not running sendmail), its MTA makes an SMTP connection
> to my mail server and then the situation promptly goes awry.  The message
> ends up the in the mqueue as previously discussed.

I would suggest starting sendmail with -X/tmp/may_get_really_big. This
may require editing e.g. /etc/init.d/sendmail but should give you many
more details. If you are using FEATURE(`msp') you only would have to do
this with the MTA sendmail (which gets started something like
/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd [-q15m] ...)

 From man sendmail:

-X logfile
               Log all traffic in and out of mailers in the  indi�
               cated log file.  This should only be used as a last
               resort for debugging mailer bugs.  It  will  log  a
               lot of data very quickly.

--
Christian