Mailboxes which won't come back online

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Nov 24 21:37:36 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> This using Cyrus 2.1.15 ...
>
> Last week I pestered this list about a situation wherein the contents of
> /var/lib/cyrus (i.e. the database) were lost in a system crash while the
> contents of /var/spool/cyrus/mail (i.e. the actual messages) were
> preserved.  After using
>
>   cyradm -> cm
>
> to recreate the user.username mailboxes and running
>
>   cyrreconstruct -r user.username
>
> for each account, the system is mostly back in working order with one
> exception.  One of the users has a mail folder which contains no messages
> but only other folders.  Try as I might, I simply can't get cyrus to
> acknowledge the existence of this folder or any of it's sub-folders; i.e.
> when I run
>
>      cyrreconstruct -r user.this_user_name
>
> it picks up everthing in /var/spool/cyrus/mail/m/user/muser
> EXCEPT for the this particular directory.  Consequently the folders don't
> show up in any IMAP MUA, either, and hence can't be used.
>
> Running `cyrreconstruct -f user.this_user_name` first doesn't do anything,
> either.
>

> Does anyone have any idea why this might be and/or how I can get these
> folders back into the cyrus database?  The permission on all files are the
> same, so it can't be a permissions problem.  Since this directory doesn't
> contain any actual messages, the files
>
>   cyrus.cache  cyrus.header cyrus.index  cyrus.seen
>
> don't exist, but they are in the subdirectories which contain actual
> messages.

I'd guess that reconstruct is skipping the reconstruction of this folder
level because there are no messages stored in it.  What if you go into
cyradm and create this folder by hand using 'cm'?  Then run reconstruct on
it and all the subfolders.

Maybe this is a bug in reconstruct, but one of the Cyrus developers would
have to say for sure.

	Andy