Pop3d user lookup problems. (Imapd works great)

Mycrom mycrom at mycrom.net
Mon Nov 24 22:32:47 EST 2003

I have just recently set up a new system running cyrus-imap package along
with postfix and ldap auth using saslauthd. This seems to be working great
with Imap but when I attempted to log in with pop the user fails with
nothing more then "Invalid User". As IMAP is working great and both the IMAP
and POP processes use the same conf file I have not been able to locate what
the issue is.

In searching all of the message forums along with google I have seen a few
posts regarding similar such problems but never a solution. I have provided
session, log, rpm, and conf data below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matthew

-----------------
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK mss-blackops.registeredsite.com Cyrus POP3 v2.1.15-Invoca-RPM-2.1.15-2
server ready <880693128.1069730028 at mss-blackops.registeredsite.com>
user admin at testserver.mycrom.net
-ERR [AUTH] Invalid user
quit
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.
------------------

-----------------
Nov 24 22:13:57 mss-blackops pop3d[25304]: badlogin:
twe1-blackops.registeredsite.com[127.0.0.1] plaintext
admin at testserver.mycrom.net invalid user

-----------------

-----------------
cyradm> lm *@testserver.mycrom.net
admin at testserver.mycrom.net (\HasNoChildren)
------------------

-----------------
root at mss-blackops etc]# rpm -qa | grep cyrus
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.15-3.1MC
cyrus-imapd-2.1.15-2
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.1.15-2
cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-3.1MC
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.15-3.1MC
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.15-3.1MC
-----------------

-----------------
[root at mss-blackops etc]# cat /etc/cyrus.conf
# standard standalone server implementation

START {
  # do not delete this entry!
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
#  idled                cmd="idled"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/lib/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="imapd -C /etc/imapd.conf" listen="imap" prefork=5
#  imaps                cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
  pop3          cmd="pop3d -C /etc/imapd.conf" listen="pop3" prefork=3
#  pop3s                cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1
#  sieve                cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
#  lmtp         cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

  # this is only necessary if using notifications
#  notify       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/notify"
proto="udp" prefork=1
}

EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
  delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}
-------------------

-------------------
[root at mss-blackops etc]# cat /etc/imapd.conf
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
virtdomains: yes
defaultdomain: registeredsite.com
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
allowplaintext: yes
imapidresponse: no
lmtp_overquota_perm_failure: yes
popminpoll: 5
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd