UIDs and seen database format

Michael F. Sprague mfs at sanellc.net
Wed Nov 26 10:49:16 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I got a response to my question yesterday RE POP UIDs and it was confirmed
that the way Cyrus generates UIDs is different than the way the old POP
daemon does.  I imagine it is possible to modify the cyrus source to generate
UIDs the same way the other daemon does.

The old POP daemon is running on Tru64 and seems to be an implementation of
Qualcomm's qpopper.  The generated UID seems to look like this:

3afd3cf6e70c597d217195d42b973ee

Whereas cyrus generates a UID based on the timestamp and message number:

106979841.1

Anyone on this list know how qpopper generates its UID and/or of any code
snippets to get cyrus to generate it the same way?  I suspect this is possible
b/ we had to do something similar for cucipop at an ISP I worked at in the
late 1990's.

Another option for me is to force all users to use IMAP (which would be nice).
The problem here is that the first time a user connects ALL of the messages
will be marked as 'unread'.  I think I can get around this by modifying
the seen flat file as I import the messages, but I cannot find documentation
of the format of this file anywhere.  Do I have to read through the source or
can someone point me to a document or post on this topic?

Thanks for listening. :)

mikeS

----- Forwarded message from "Michael F. Sprague" <mfs at sanellc.net> -----