UIDs and seen database format

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Wed Nov 26 11:51:29 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:49:16AM -0500, Michael F. Sprague wrote:
> The old POP daemon is running on Tru64 and seems to be an implementation of
> Qualcomm's qpopper.  The generated UID seems to look like this:
>
> 3afd3cf6e70c597d217195d42b973ee

That look strangely like an MD5 hash.  Exactly what they are hashing is
the question.  Maybe the whole message without the X-UIDL header ?

> Anyone on this list know how qpopper generates its UID and/or of any code
> snippets to get cyrus to generate it the same way?  I suspect this is possible
> b/ we had to do something similar for cucipop at an ISP I worked at in the
> late 1990's.

If you need to generate a hash on the fly, performance will most
probably suck.  If you generate it once, then store in an X-UIDL header,
performance will still probably suck, but not any worse than other
POP3 daemon that does it, I guess.

> Another option for me is to force all users to use IMAP (which would be nice).
> The problem here is that the first time a user connects ALL of the messages
> will be marked as 'unread'.  I think I can get around this by modifying
> the seen flat file as I import the messages, but I cannot find documentation
> of the format of this file anywhere.  Do I have to read through the source or
> can someone point me to a document or post on this topic?

If you come up with something for doing that, i may be interested in it
too.

Ciao!

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com