Cyrus IMAP 2.1.12 and Berkeley 4.1.25

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Fri May 2 11:21:10 EDT 2003

Joe Rhodes wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> My apologies for what seems to me to be kind of a dumb question, but I
> just can't seem to get around this.
>
> I can't seem to get past the ./configure with Cyrus IMAP.  It always
> complains when it's looking for db_create in the Berkeley db.h file.
>
> I've uninstalled the db4 rpms that RedHat 9 ships with (db4,
> db4-devel, and db4-util) and compiled my own version of Berkeley DB
> 4.1.25, using --prefix=/usr as the only compile option.  I had no
> errors in the build process.   I need to use 4.1.25, since OpenLDAP
> requires it.  (OpenLDAP, BTW, compiles and links fine against the
> library.)  I'd prefer to use this version also for Cyrus IMAP and SASL
> if I can.  (Havn't gotten around to the latter yet).  From what I've
> read, Cyrus IMAP and SASL can use the Berkeley 4.1.25 library.

Yes! You can link both against db-4 !

> The configure script finds the db.h file, and then proceeds to check
> for db_create in db-4.1, db4.1 and so on.  It doesn't find it and then
> gives the message that I should install Berkeley DB from
> www.sleepycat.com.

Where do you have libdb.so/libdb.a files ? Does your linker search that
path during linking ? It seems that libdb-4.1.so cannot be found ! Do
you have libdb-4.1.so ? If not: Make a link from libdb.so to libdb-4.1.so!

> I've tried putting Berkeley DB in its own directory,
> /usr/local/Berkeley and use the --with-dbdir --with-db-libdir and
> --with-db-incdir to point there, that didn't work.  I've tried using
> those same ./configure flags to point at my /usr/lib and /usr/include
> directories.  No dice.

So you only have libdb.so and not libdb-4.1.so I think !

Christian