distro rpm options

grenoml grenoml at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 13:05:52 EDT 2003

  I have been installing software on Linux for quite a while using
binary tar format.  I now am switching over to trying to use RPMs as
much as possible and this is working quite well.  I'm now following the
howtos for installing postfix-cyrus-mysql-webcyradm.
  My question is this: for RPMs that are pre-installed as part of a
distro, what is the best and easiest ways to tell what options were
used to build these pre-installed RPMs?  Can I query for this
information?  For example RH9 comes with cyrus-sasl.  How do I know
what configure options were selected when this RPM was built?  If I now
want to build cyrus-imapd from a src rpm how do I know that what I
select for build options will not conflict with the cyrus-sasl options
say for example the db options?

thx,
Gerry Reno