"error fetching from sasldb: Invalid argument"

Dennis Saenger test at kips-world.de
Mon May 12 14:39:06 EDT 2003

hi

I finally got it to compile cyrus on my machine. But now i can't login. I
want to use saslauthd => pam authentication.
In /etc/imapd.conf I added the folowing line:

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

In /etc/pam.d I created a "imap"-file =>

#%PAM-1.0
account required pam_unix.so debug try_first_pass
auth required pam_unix.so debug try_first_pass

(same works with postfix => saslauthd => pam so I think this is correct)

Now, something I don't understand at all:
With "imtest -m login -p imap localhost" I can login into the Imap-Server
without any problems:

dennis at trinity userhome $ imtest -m login -p imap localhost
S: * OK trinity.lan Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.13 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=OTP AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
AUTH=CRAM-MD5
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN dennis {9}authentication
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0

The follwing appears in the logfile when i login with imtest: [imapd]
login: localhost[127.0.0.1] dennis plaintext

Now, when I try to login from another machine than localhost I cannot
connect. The errormessage from the logfile:

May 12 18:20:03 [imapd] error fetching from sasldb: Invalid argument
May 12 18:20:03 [master] process 30681 exited, signaled to death by 11

any ideas? Why from localhost but not form "outside"? And why tries cyrus
to use the sasldb when I want to use saslauthd?

hope you can help me (again :),

best regards, dennis saenger