Replacing WINDOWS and NOVELL service with CYRUS

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Thu May 15 09:54:26 EDT 2003

Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

> Of course. One word of warning, though. IMAP4 (which Cyrus is) threats
> "." as folder hierarchy separator, thus mailbox names cannot contain
> ".". The way we do it (like most other people) is that we have two
> layers of mail addresses: public/intranet address and mailbox address.
> Our Sendmail uses Virtual Users Table to translate from public to
> mailbox addresses. In my case "Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu" translates
> to "nikola at Mercury.ev.co.yu", where "Mercury.ev.co.yu" is our Cyrus
> 2.1 server (also equiped with Sendmail of it's own).

The IMAP protocol does not specify the folder separator,  but instead
provides a way for the client to find out what the server is using.  In
Cyrus, the folder separator can be "." (the default) or "/" (with
unixhierarchysep set).  In the latter case, "." is now available for
user names.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931