Delivering to user@domain versus user@host.domain

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Wed May 21 22:30:00 EDT 2003

Don Doumakes wrote:

> On 2003.05.16 20:47:00 -0500 Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> My guess is that your MTA is changing the recipient address to
>> contain the fully qualified hostname.  Can you capture what is being
>> sent to lmtpd, or if you know SMTP/LMTP can you talk to lmtpd
>> directly and try to deliver a message?
>

> I ran
>
>     sendmail -d testuser at cannibals.org
>
> and while I'm far from a sendmail debugging expert---barely a passable
> novice---it doesn't appear that the recipient address has been
> rewritten to testuser at donner.cannibals.org.  I'm hoping some other
> glaring error is apparent below.

checkcompat(to=testuser at cannibals.org, from=root)
openmailer: TCP [localhost]
makeconnection (localhost.cannibals.org. [192.168.1.100].25 (2))
makeconnection: fd=6
Connect failed (Connection refused by localhost.cannibals.org.)
openmailer: makeconnection => stat=75, errno=111

I think this is your problem! I know recent versions of sendmail have
better handling of resolving the local host. For me this disappeared
after appending

FEATURE(`allways_add_domain`)

to my sendmail.mc but updating your sendmail version should also change
that behaviour to something different, I think! Had problems with this
also but do not know exactly how I got rid of. Maybe because I do
sendmail updates regularly and this dissappeared somewhere after 8.12.7,
I think.

--Christan