sasl versions

Stewart stewart at f8.com.au
Thu May 22 19:16:55 EDT 2003

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 12:12  AM, Stewart wrote:

> further to my last message

my last message which appears to have not actually made it to the list.
sorry guys for the confusion, i'll start again. :-)

last night i wrote:

thanks for the pointers, people. in the end we got pwcheck to run but
imapd still couldn't talk to it.

so rather than waste time on an old unsupported version we found cyrus2
in debian unstable and installed that. (i'm supposed to have this
system in production on the weekend, erk..)

now i think i have a sasl problem. what do you make of this?

i've created the user cyrus in the sasldb:

humphrey:/home/stewart# sasldblistusers
user: cyrus realm: humphrey mech: PLAIN

but can't connect:

humphrey:/home/stewart# cyradm -user cyrus localhost
IMAP Password:
Login failed: user not found at /usr/lib/perl5/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line
118
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server as user cyrus

and i wondered if this might not have something to do with it:

humphrey:/home/stewart# dpkg -l|grep sasl
ii  libsasl2       2.1.12-1       Authentication abstraction library
ii  libsasl7       1.5.27-3       Authentication abstraction library.
ii  sasl-bin       1.5.27-3       Programs for manipulating the SASL
users dat
ii  sasl2-bin      2.1.12-1       Programs for manupulating the SASL
users dat

two sasl packages installed.

so just now i did an apt-get remove libsasl7 sasl-bin  and apart from
it trying and failing to completely remove slapd i now only have the
newer version of sasl. (and a broken slapd but that issue can wait...)

trouble is, i still can't connect to the server, user (still) not
found. have removed /etc/sasldb* and ran saslpasswd2 to try again, as
well.

now very tired grumpy and stuck. i don't want to have to go back to
uw-imap but at this late stage it might be my only option... i just
hope i'm missing something obvious?

cheers,
..S.

ps oh, by the way, the tip about syslog/imap/debugging doesn't seem to
work here either ...

pps that impad.conf again:

configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: no
admins: cyrus
imap_admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
popminpoll: 1
autocreatequota: 0
umask: 077
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
hashimapspool: true
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auto_transition: no
tls_ca_path: /etc/ssl/certs
tls_session_timeout: 1440
tls_cipher_list: TLSv1:SSLv3:SSLv2:!NULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!LOW:@STRENGTH
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify