Cyrus and MAPI

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Mon May 26 09:30:35 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 02:50:19PM +0200, Morten Dreier wrote:
> Is there any chance that we can get our cyrus 2.1.9-server to "talk"
> MAPI with the mail clients and authenticate to a Active Directory
> server?

You could use saslauthd + Kerberos to authenticate to AD.  I'm doing it,
it work with very few gotcha.  LDAP is another option, but remember that
AD LDAP only accept simple (cleartext), NTLM and Kerberos authentication
mechanism (at least in Win2K).  Of these, only simple over SSL make
sense.

> Out cyrus-server now authenticates with sasl and pam to a ldap-server.
> The pam to AD-part is not very difficult, but the server-side MAPI is
> uncertain.

You will need to clarify why you need MAPI support.  Do you need to
connect to Cyrus with MAPI-only client ?  In that case, you will be out
of luck.  Do you want to use Outlook in Corporate Workgroup mode using a
Cyrus server ?  In that case, Binary sell an Outlook plugin that make it
use any ACL-aware IMAP server for it's MAPI message store.

Really, I would need more info to give an informed opinion.

Regards,

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com